``

Saturday 6 May 2023

Malkins Bank

An early start for us this morning, the tunnel opens at 8 am and the CRT tunnel keeper was there for the safety brief at quarter to. Then he gave me the good news, the boats waiting at the other end were DSCF7880coming through first, so it was five to nine before we got away. By the time we left another boat had arrived behind us and followed us through. I don’t know the reasoning for it but I spotted this on the bank after leaving the tunnel.DSCF7882

We had amazingly good luck at the locks today and only turned one out of twenty four. At the first lock a boater coming up in the right hand chamber opened the top gate on the left for us. and leaving Limekiln Lock I could see a boat just leaving Red Bull lock so we both left gates open and so it went on, all the locks with us and occasionally meeting a boat or two. Some how Hassell Green top lock was empty. Passing the CRT yard a Lawton they have a fine collection of stop planks ready for use.DSCF7883

We were going to stop at Hassell Green but as things were going so well we carried on, the weather was good with just a few very light showers, unlike London I understand. Just under the M6 and there was a cow in the canal, it didn’t seem bothered wandering along munching the best of the grass but I had my doubts it would get oy by its self unless there is a vert shallow, hard bottomed bit along there.DSCF7886

Not having any idea who owned the cattle when we got to Longcroft Lock I went into the stable yard and found a couple of chaps, they didn’t know who owned them but they new another farmer who would know, so I left in in their hands. The told me the reason the near side lock is closed is because the walls have come in, trapping some boats, so I don’t expect that will open for a few more years.
Below Clear Water lock I spotted these little flags on the towpath, they are only about 100mmm high but indicate there are Orchids growing there.DSCF7887

It was now starting to rain and knowing how full Wheelock can get we moored for the night just below Sawpit Lock.

Last time I came this way I said I have never seen the flight in such poor repair, well now its even worse with one one lock back in operation and several more with faults.

Todays Journeyimage
8½ miles, 24 locks in 5½ hours 

No comments: