``

Tuesday, 25 August 2026

All Oaks Woods mooring.

Well a few more boats arrived behind us last night so about 9am this morning we moved down to the lock moorings to wait for the flight to open. Its surprising with the canal level lower  there is no  cross flow from the back pumping, it just tumbles into the canal DSCF2250

A little before quarter to ten the Volocky arrives and sits on the lock beam after putting the names of the volockies on the board. about ten to ten he unlocks the top paddles and raises one. I have the engine running, then he sits and looks at his watch, two minutes to ten take the chains off the bottom gate and spot on ten o’clock opens the top gate.
Now they only have one of the middle locksDSCF2252 operational, the one with a boat dumped on the lock moorings, it was there when we came up on the 2nd on August when we came up. Once down the flight we pulled over for water, its a very slow tap. While we were there another boater tapped on the roof to ask where he could get a “Fund British Waterways” banner, luckily I had a spare. We gave up before the tank was full and headed off, but only as far as Horton Bridge, I had to visit Toolstation to pick up a new galley tap. It’s only a 5 minute walk so dead handy. Then we were off again, this time just as far Screenshot 2026-08-25 181623as Newbold where we stopped for lunch and then I spent a couple of hours sanding rust patches on the roof and treating them with Kurust, tomorrow I will slap some undercoat on and then the next day some top coat. We hadn’t planed to stay at Newbold over night so once I had finished we pushed on again, this time to All Oaks Wood and it looked pretty full. Boats moored before the wood as well as in the wood,  we stopped by the carpark and Diana walked ahead to see if there was any space against the piling, just one, she paced it out at 19 strides, we are 18, so that is where we are for the night.

Today’s JourneyScreenshot 2026-08-25 181752 7½ miles with 3 locks in about 3 hours

No comments: