``

Sunday 19 February 2017

Home Moorings Sat 18 February 2017

Last night we had a pleasant evening at the Trent and Mersey Canal Society meeting in the Big Lock pub where a friend of ours John gave an illustrated talk on the Lowland waterways of the Netherlands.

It wasn't until we were on the boat abed that it started raining, we have had such a lucky week weather wise.

This morning we got away in reasonable time for us as it was only just under 2 hours to our moorings and then the drive home.

I have this question before but never had a convincing reply so I will try again. What do you think these were originally made for, I cant believe the were mooring bollards with the square section on the top.

DSCF7084DSCF7083DSCF7082

Some one has left a very nice note on the picnic table at Bramble Cuttings thanking the people who have worked so hard to maintain it and make it such a pleasant mooring.DSCF7085

We met quite a few boats on that short journey including three hire boats from the Bridgewater Canal.

We were back at the moorings at 11-30 and by mid day where pretty much ready to come home, it was then that I noticed an oil and filter change was due, so while Diana knocked up a sandwich for lunch I changed the oil and filter on the engine as well as topping up the batteries, I do them every time I change the engine oil I top the batteries up and they normally take about a lt between the 4 of them. By 1 pm we were on our way home.

Today’s Jurneymap 16

4.6 miles, 1 Lock in 1hr 45 min

This trip we have done 140 Miles, 26 locks in 52 hours.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The "mooring bollards" - do you think they could originally rotate, in which case they could be used to winches if you used the square top to fit a handle???.
Or just devises for taking a line around - maybe to help turn a boat.

I've seen them somewhere else but can't remember where.

Brian and Diana on NB Harnser said...

They are all over the place, there are some taller ones by Harecastle Tunnel. I dont think they have ever rotated in the positions they are located now. I have a feeling they were made for something else and looked useful.