``

Wednesday 4 May 2022

Dutton Breach

Last night just as I was about to get the TV aerial in, it sounded like a helicopter right over head, wrong it was a plane just a few hundred feet over my head. Just after we were in bed it started raining and carried on all night. We were all set to go at ten but this was the view from the back doors. DSCF6682Shortly afterwards these heroes came by netting floating rubbish from the canal, I don’t know if they are Bridgewater employees or volunteers, but not the best job this morning.DSCF6683

Once the rain stopped we headed back down the present end of the arm for a walk round. Once we left the canal things didn’t look so familiar and it was difficult trying to recall what was there, not only has the basketball courts gone, so has the flyover they were under. Here is where they were, I think.IMG_20220504_114325

I also took a shot from the top of Waterloo Bridge looking down the line of the old locks.IMG_20220504_112656

We walked most of the way down the old locks but couldn’t see any change other than a Narrowboat in their compound, I think it may be some time before they put it in a lock down there. We didn’t go right to the Ship Canal as it started raining once more.
I think this is probably the best shot I have got of the Mersey Gateway bridge, I was standing on Harnser’s roof as we went under the footbridge.DSCF6686

We filled with water at the Preston Brook services which meant we missed the slot for the tunnel by about 4 minute so had ¾ hour to kill, I started the engine at 28 minutes passed and the chap behind me had already untied and was ready for the off, not saying I nipped through the tunnel but we had cleared Dutton lock before him or the boat behind him appeared. Dutton lock again was almost on a level with the T&M just topping the gate. We have moored for the night at the site of the breach overlooking the River Weaver. We are now back on narrow, shallow waterways.

Today’s Journeyimage

9 miles, 1 lock 3½ hrs

image

No comments: