``

Sunday 22 September 2024

Shardlow

3 boats came up Western lock this morning before we went down, the last one I assisted. It was surprisingly warm as we made our way down the canal and by lunchtime was quite hot. I was somewhat surprised by the length of long-term moorings just above Shardlow.A long run on tick over, thankfully not meeting a wide beam. Its funny how the same place names are duplicated on the canals, just on the T&M we have Western, Aston and Willington, I can also think of others on different canals.
As we went through Shardlow there were a few moorings vacant, hopefully they would be there on our return, but for now we were off through the flood lock, no lights on today and down to DerwentDSCF9660

lock, As I arrived the lock was full and a boater below walked up and gave a hand. As Diana brought the we saw a boat following so the other boater opened the opposite gate for them to come in. Now the interesting bit, the other boater made no attempt to get off the boat or even pick up a windlass but left everything to us to do. As we left the lock I noted the river level was well down.DSCF9667

The river is quite wide just after Derwent Mouth, the plan we had this morning was to wind here, but asDSCF9661

we knew Derwent lock was now against us we continued down through a second flood lock, Sawley Flood lock  and stopped for lunch opposite Sawley DSCF9662

Marina at which point our locking partners sailed by, I wonder what luck they will have at Trent Lock.
I think I read that this power station is due for demolition soon, so that will be another landmark gone.DSCF9664

There is a good length of visitor mooring opposite the marina with rings, so it was a handy tie up for ¾ hour in the warm sunshine. As you come through the flood lock its almost like cruising through a marina with boats moored all around.DSCF9663

After lunch we headed back to Derwent lock, The river section very benign and very little water flowing over the weir, I wonder it that will change soon looking at the weather forecast.DSCF9666

Just as we were passing the fat boat moored on the end of the lock landing at Derwent Lock, a boat was leaving the lock, then the crew started closing the gates, I pipped the horn, pip pipped it again. hand on horn continuously but still the gates closed.  The steerer of the boat as we passed made some comment about my actions, I didn’t catch it but said it would have been nice if they hadn’t shut the gate in my face. Then a lady who was sat on the seat above the lock who had heard all my horn blowing came and told the people to open the gate again just as they were walking away. I thanked her greatly.
I remembered that there was a house in Shardlow with a railway line in the garden, its still there, disappearing under the shed door.

DSCF9669   DSCF9670

The moorings we had our eye on coming down by the pub were all full, but there was one on the towpath side we fitted without being too far under the willow tree.

As I type this its raining, thundering and lightening but at least it waited until after we had tied up. If it hadn’t been for the weather forecast we would have gone down the Trent to Nottingham but we don’t want to get stuck it the river rises.

Today’s journey image

7 miles 5 locks(not counting flood locks) in 3¾hours

No comments: