``

Tuesday 21 December 2021

Kingsbury

Last night dinner was purchased from Peninsular Cantonese, the beef is wonderful, the rest was very good.

This morning the workmen were quiet quiet until about 8am. maybe they have an agreement with the local residents or maybe they just get fired up slowly.
I was preparing to make a 10am start when two boats came by, first thought was, well that’s all the 11 locks against us today,so we set off behind them, the first turned into Fazeley Mill Marina and the second moored outside, so no one ahead again. We made our way along the B&F canal to the Curdworth flight, not only were the locks with up, the bottom one had the gate wide open, so straight in, the next three were just the same. The BCN lock cottage by the bottom lock has a date in Roman numerals highDSCF5975 on the wall. Correct me if I am wrong but I think its 1820, I have seen the date in Roman Numerals on BCN bridges but I think it a lot less common on lock cottages. On the offside just below lock 10 there is DSCF5976this small memorial, no name, just Dad and the dates.
After lock 8 all the locks were still with us but the gates all closed up so we made reasonable time going up the flight.
The work on HS2 is moving on near lock 5 with a couple of solid fences up and a crushed concrete base down.DSCF5981   The chaps in the High vis jackets were manhandling a rather large wacker plate machine back to the site after using it on the towpath. There is a pond opposite where they are working with a rather large dead tree beside it, I think it may be on the path of HS2 but today the Cormorants were taking the opportunity to sit out on itDSCF5980

Lock number 2 caught us out as both the bottom paddles were up by about 3 inches, the racks are hidden behind the walkway as you approach the gate, its not until you look back on them you see the rod is above the guide. 
Confession time, I didn’t bother fitting the headlight to come through Curdworth tunnel.  We carried on past the Cuttle Bridge Inn at Kingsbury to moor a short way past bridge Wiggins Hill Bridge. There have been plans to build an industrial estate opposite where we are moored on what was open farm land, work has now started preparing the ground.DSCF5984

Please click the map to open a Google Map showing the trip so far

map 02

Todays Journey 7 miles, 11 locks in 4 hours

 

DSCF5979 (2)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You are correct, it is indeeed 1820!
M = 1000
D= 500
C = 100
C = 100
C = 100
X = 10
X = 10

Total 1820. Good job the Romans didn't need to write numbers in the trillions !!

Could I ask favour? If you pass by a BCN cottage with a BCN number on it, could you please take and post a photo for me? I'm a BCN expat and would like to make a BCN cottage number plate for my house - to remind me of a childhood surrounded by canals filled with iron filings and tar soup.

Brian and Diana on NB Harnser said...

There is a Facebook page dedicated to the BCN Lock cottages https://www.facebook.com/groups/231935092003418
I have added a Photo to the bottom of this blog for you

Unknown said...

Thanks Brian. I knew about the Facebook group but the images were too small for me to see the detail of the plates - and an appeal asking if anyone had a cloe up didn't produce any results. However, now that I have your image I can enlarge it enough to confirm the scalloped corners and the style of the numbers.

Thank you, it is greatly appreciated. Graham