``

Wednesday 7 September 2022

Quoisley

I was expecting a lot more noise from the geese this morning that were roosting on the Meres at the junction. We were away a little before 9-30 am to get to Grindley Brook before boats leaving Ellesmere. I only took one photo, I spotted this owl sitting on top of a power cable pole near Roundthorn Bridge.DSCF7199

When I got closer we could see it was a plastic one, who and why I have no idea. The canal was reasonably quiet and when we reached all 5 lift bridges we didn’t get any help, in fact at Whitchurch Junction I ended up holding it for two boats coming the other way. We arrived at the top of Grindley Brook with no queue but we had to wait for two boats coming up, there were three Volockies working the flight so things moved quite well, once down the staircase all locks were with us meeting other boats. Down at Poveys Lock one top paddle was still all taped up, I understand that an underwater survey was planned to take place there today, whether it happened I don’t know. Down at Willeymoor there were hire boats moored on the lock moorings both above and below the locks, the one below would make it difficult for boats coming up due to the cross current. After the three locks we carried on to the 48 hr visitor moorings where we were moored up before the thunder and lightening  complete with rain.

Todays Journeyimage

10 miles 9 Locks in 4¾ hours

You can see our journey from Llangollen, home on Google maps Here

No comments: