``

Friday 13 October 2023

Sutton Cheney

The weather forecast said it would be dry this morning so I suggested setting off before breakfast, mistake, it was raining so we decided to wait until it stopped a a little after 10-30 am before setting off. Mike  and a lady ACA member helped us through the single lock gate and waved farewell to us. I might just as well set off early because almost immediately it started to rain. A short way before the tunnel we passed a Pumpkin pyramid, I guess they are all for sale, there are even a couple of orange straw bails.DSCF8540

Then it was into the tunnel, when we came through yesterday I was aware of some brambles hanging down over the tunnel mouth, so as we exited I stopped and trimmed them off.DSCF8546

The weather was between thick musty drizzle and pelting it down with rain, I fund a golf brolly very good in this situation. I was rather taken by the art work on this boat we passed. Maybe not totally PC today.DSCF8548

So far I have seen three old Seagull Outboard engines on dinghies on this canal, these were made from 1931 up until 1996, I don’t know how old these ones were.DSCF8550

I had in my mind to moor for the night at Sutton Wharf, it was empty when we came past two days go. As we approached the rain stopped, that would make tying up a bit more pleasant, but when we got there there were already three boats on the moorings, so no room for us, we carried on for another ten minutes of so passed the long term moorings and found a nice deserted length of piling to attach our chains to.

Today’s Journey image

11 miles, half a lock in 4¼ hours

No comments: