``

Thursday 10 August 2023

Purton,Gloucester and Sharpness Canal

No great rush to get away this morning as we are just cruising the Gloucester and Sharpness canal and its only 19 miles long. We woke to wall to wall sun shine, its still warm and bright but a lot more cloud has gathered. On our way to the end we passed this barge, I don’t know if its floating or on the bottom but it has a fine bog garden in it.DSCF8331

We met some paddle boarders, this one had the dog with her, it seemed happy enough just laying at her feet.DSCF8332

If I remember correctly this use to be connected with the Bournville chocolate factory in Birmingham, I am sure someone will soon put me right if I am wrong.DSCF8334

Down towards the end of the canal we passed through Sharpness Swing bridge 3, its a long time since it had railway lines above it.DSCF8336

 

DSCF8337

We went to the fork and winded before reversing back under Sharpness Swing bridge No 2 also minus a line now but still has a deck. you don’t see manyDSCF8339 photos taken from this side. Behind us is Sharpness Swing bridge No1, this is to low to navigate under and requires CRT to swing it to give access to Sharpness lock.DSCF8341

We spent the afternoon down by Swing bridge No 3 before moving down to Purton for the night. The reason for moving was I wanted to bash the rudder stock a bit more to try to persuade to part company with the shaft, I think it will be the slitting disc.

Todays Journey image

11½ miles, no locks in 3¾ hours

4 comments:

Paul (from Waterway Routes) said...

I think it's only 16 miles long.

Rob said...

I believe chocolate crumb was carried from the factory to Bournville.

I thought the Gloucester Sharpness was 16 miles long.

Brian and Diana on NB Harnser said...

You are probably right Paul, It was me adding the numbers on the mile posts as I went by one. I knew it was too short for CC on as its been disputed a few times so they have to do a weekend up the Severn every now and then.

Brian and Diana on NB Harnser said...

Thanks Rob, that ties in with my memory