Bit of a slow day today, too many old friends, Last night that well known boater Bones called in to say hello, not seen her for about 5 years then this morning we stopped to chat with Jerry and Muriel,we did see them yesterday afternoon as they dumped their recycling but other than that it was probably 2 years ago, this was followed by Anne and Olie, we did have coffee and cakes with them on our way out, but other than that its probably a year ago. That is how it is when you are boating, we only manage a wave with Sue who was enjoying an ice-cream at Norbury Wharf. So although we left our moorings at 9-30 it was 4-45 when we tied up. If your in a hurry don’t go boating.
We had quite a slow run through the cutting meeting a couple of boats on the way, the offside growth makes passing tricky but I guess it keeps the speed down. Diana was soon complaining about the smell. my nose might be big but it doesn't work very well. It turned out that the farmer had been slurry spreading and gave it a good thick layer. You can see how dark the stubble is
This chap was quite obliging sitting on a thin branch as we passed underneath him, I did wonder if we would get a present on the roof.
I expect this farmer has the necessary licence for extracting water from the canal as his equipment is not exactly hidden, but I do think he should have made a better attempt at putting a ramp over the suction pipe, it looks like a sheet of broken hardboard, I would have thought he would be liable if someone hurts themselves on it.
Its good to see the fund British Waterways signs up, I hope all my readers have signed the petition for better funding from the Government.
There has recently been a crop fire right beside the canal where a lots of boats have long term moorings, I don’t know if any of the boats were damaged but the hedgerow and some of their storage containers were.
Thankfully this boat was moored up when we met it and not tacking towards us.
We decided to moor for the night in Gnosall, by now
I had an ex-working boat following so we pulled in at the water point to let him pass rather than be in his way trying to moor. As we were at the water point we thought we may as well fill up, there was a gap between the water point and the first moored boat but a bit to short for us, so we reversed a 100 yards and tucked in where a boat had just left.
12 miles with no locks in 4¾
No comments:
Post a Comment