When we set off this morning it was quite cloudy, but no sign of any rain.
One of the narrow gardens between the canal and the railway line has some great kids toys including a zip wire.
The canal was quite busy and we often met boats. We had been warned about a fallen tree but it was much further on that the estimate give, about mid way between Bridges 103 and 104, room to pass but I have reported it to CRT.
Soon we were at Gt Hayward Junction, I came out turning right onto the Trent and Mersey canal, but then reversed up to the water point, luckily a boat was just leaving. The plumbing at the point is interesting to say the least and great care is needed not to break anything while attaching the hose. Pity the plumbers cand fit taps like they had originally. Note the handle is behind the valve and it’s leaking.
As we made our way to Colwich Lock before passing all the moored boats on the bend that seemed to have been there for months we passed this giant Gunnera plant, I am sure it gets bigger every year.
Down at Colwich Lock we were the only boat heading down, but we met 5 coming up, so no gates to open or close. Down to Wolseley Bridge and they look to be ripping the surface out with the bridge still open to traffic.
The other side of the bridge is a very smart interpretation board, I hope CRT didn’t pay for it.
Wharf Cottage which is on the off side between bridges 68 and 69 looks as if its having some major work carried out with heaps of soil in the adjoining field, I am surprised they have had a bonfire in a field of tinder dry grass.
As we came into Rugeley we passed Naomi's Landing with Dancing Sheep moored out the front, we have plaid leapfrog with here several times last week but never saw the crew. Good to see they are supporting “Fund British Waterways” if you haven’t already done so please sign the petition . Petition · Fund Britain's Waterways - United Kingdom · Change.org
I have no idea why this milepost has been painted gold, but it looks quite nice. From here it wasn’t far to where we planed to moor if there was a space, I don’t think I have ever seen so many boats moored here, but we were in luck and moored on the 2 day moorings just before bridge 66. Handy for Tesco.
No comments:
Post a Comment