``

Wednesday, 16 September 2026

Home Mooring

Last night we ate at the barley Mow, Pie and Mash with peas. The pies are home made and not a soggy bottom to be found.Real mash, not powder.
This morning we were away a little earlier as I needed to call in to Toolstation so moored for 15 minutes opposite Clifton Cruisers. Needless to say just as I returned to the boat a hire boat came by, but we didn’t follow them far before they pulled over.
A long stretch in Brownsover has been marked as “No Mooring” for several years but these boats were here on our outward journey and also our return. AsDSCF2361 I approached I could see a boat coming the other way, so I held back until they passed and then set off , however there was another boat some way behind and when he saw me coming pancaked,  Turned right against the off side bank and then hard left and he hit me right on the nose even though I was hard astern. By this time our bow was level with the end of the far boat, if he had just slowed or gone straight there would have been no problem.
We reached the bottom lock about 11 Am and had an hour and a half wait as there were 6 boats waiting ahead and by the time we locked up there was probably 8 waiting behind us. Once through the first lock we were in a queue again for the middle one, The abandoned boat is still in the mouth of lock 5.DSCF2363

There were three Volockies at the bottom lock but non at the others, I think all the other boats I saw going up were hire boats. At the moorings at the top of the locks this boat had anti rat plates on the mooring ropes but as they are against the bank there is nothing to stop undesirables just stepping aboard.DSCF2364

Passing Hillmorton Wharf it looks as if they have placed concrete blocks to prevent boats entering the basin where the floating lodges are all located.DSCF2365
We
carried on past our marina and down to Dunchurch Pools marina to fill with diesel, the price has gone up 10p/L since we last had some, kicking my self a bit as we didn’t fill to the brim last time in the hope that prices might fall. On our way back I saw this one legged goose.DSCF2366

On the way we passed under way I call”WRG Bridge” This was a bridge repaired by WRG for CRT trying out using volunteers' for maintenance, Over theDSCF2368

 

years it has cracked again, but the other side is a very sorry state and looks like its creeping over.DSCF2369

I am always amazed what I se on the towpath, here we have two pairs of boots, his and hers DSCF2370

It was then back into the marina and pack up ready to go home in the morning .

Todays JourneyScreenshot 2026-09-16 162924

 

9¾ miles with 3 locks in 6 hours

No comments: