``

Wednesday, 9 September 2026

Lime Kilns, Ashby canal

Again two very nice meals last night at the Greyhound, they had a specials board on with Faggots top of the list so I didn’t look any further.
We had a little rain overnight but it was gone by the time we finished breakfast, although it wasn’t that warm until the sun popped out after lunch. Just after we set off we passed a boat read to set off himself, it was the same one who passed me yesterday as I was setting off, so rolls reversed. It wasn’t long before we passed the site of the fallen trees that blocked the canal the week before last.DSCF2304

Then we were on to Charity Dock with eclectic gathering of boats.DSCF2305

We met the electric charity trip boat “Hargreaves” fair and square on the Charity Dock bend, thankfully he sounded his horn on approach and I replied, but I still managed to get into the mud so couldn’t get round the turn without reversing up.Our view as we left.DSCF2307

As we nosed through the bridge just before Marston Junction we met another boat which rather spoilt my planned turn in to the Ashby canal, however plan B went perfectly and there was no one watching. One of the Mobile Homes on the offside has built a decking area on quite long supports and has attached a long printed sheet along the front.DSCF2309

We met several boats as we made our way along the canal and moving over soon has you in the soft silt even though the canal is well on level with water going to waste.DSCF2310

We decided we would try the Lime Kilns for a meal tonight, I don’t think we have ever visited by boat, so we have moored on the first visitor mooring before the waterpoint and although the A5 is quite close its surprisingly quiet. Since we have been here I have done an engine oil and filter change, I do it every 250 hours and the hour meter is reading 7001.6 so that was quite close to perfect.

Today’s JourneyScreenshot 2026-09-09 141012

 

8 miles with 0 locks in 2¾ hours

No comments: