``

Wednesday 20 April 2022

Gnosall

We set off at our normal 10am but it was not as warm as I expected, A boat left just after us and caught us up in Brewood as I went slowly passed the moored boats, so as soon as I was clear I pulled over and waved him by, on open water he didn’t seam to want to go any quicker than us so I eased back a bit. The first time I ever came this way the aqueduct looked quite splendid, I don’t think its seen a paint brush since.DSCF6516

Hopefully you can see all the moored Canal and River Services boats a bit better, there were 5 tugs and at least 8 flats as well as the two hydraulic things.

DSCF6518

We stopped at Wheaton Aston services to dump rubbish etc. when I noticed the pumpout machine was on pause. As our pumpout point is on the right hand gunwale I winded and came back along side to make good use of it. It was 14 since the last pumpout so it saved a bit and I left it on pause for the next lucky boater.
While I was winding nb. Jubilee came along and moored just before the winding hole so we had a chat with John while doing the pumpout and said hello to Jan as we went by. 
We have seen this boat a couple of times this trip but today they moored up while we were still at the service point so we passed them when we left and this fellow was sitting in the bows.DSCF6519

We carried on north under this turnover bridge, as well as being a turnover bridge to take the towpath from one side of the canal to the other its also an accommodation bridge taking a lane over the canal. The lane is the other side of the wall behind Diana.DSCF6520

We soon arrived in Gnosall and the tree trunk that had been floating at the entrance to the tunnel has been towed away and moored by a local boater so is now out of the way. We have moored almost opposite The Boat, we were going to eat there tonight but they changed management a week ago and still have a limited menu, but we did check the beer out. Plan B is The Navigation, but they didn’t know what will be on the menu tonight as it depends what stock they have left. I can only guess they had a good Easter.

Todays Journeyimage

10 miles, 1 lock in 4½ hours.

As the map of the trip gets confusing when we cover the ground twice I have started a new one from Autherley Junction.image

No comments: