``

Thursday 18 August 2022

Brewood Wed 17 Aug 2022

We had rain on and off all night last night, not hammering it down, just nice useful rain, Thankfully it cleared up in the early hours and we had a fine day.
We set off at our normal 10am after a much cooler night which improves the quality of sleep.
This is the only mile marker that I have spotted on this canal, there may be more hidden away.DSCF6992

We met a steady stream of boats as we made our way to Autherley Junction. One of the things we passed was these remains of a structure on theDSCF6993

canal bank, I suspect its something to do with the railway as this is where the line runs closest to the canal as can be seen on the map below.image

On the outskirts of Wolverhampton I just managed to spot some fishing poles across the canal and slowed down for them, I couldn’t see any of the fishermen until the first lifted his pole, they were all tucked well into the undergrowth.DSCF6995

We arrived at Autherley junction to find a boat hovering in the centre of the canal, a boat had just left the Shroppie but he still sat there and when I got closer indicated he was waiting to go up the Shroppie. I pulled in so that Diana could hop off with a windless which was just as well as 2 more boat came out of the junction with a third about to turn the lock to follow. I think the other boat thought I was going to nip ahead so he went ashore and walked round to the lock, no windlass.
Once we cleared the lock we stopped at bridge No.2 firstly for lunch and then for Diana to visit Morrisons.
last time we were this way they were putting pads down in the park on the offside, I thought they would be for an outdoor gym, but I was wrong, they were bases for seats.DSCF6996

Passing the Wolverhampton Boat Club I looked back just in time to see a Kingfisher flit across the canal and land on the tiller arm of one of the moored boats.DSCF6998

There is a lot more traffic on the Shroppie than on the Staff and Worcester canal and we carried on for an hour and a half under Avenue Bridge to moor forDSCF6999

the night on the Brewood visitor moorings. Once moored I set to removing the pigeon box window I tried to seal last night and do the job properly. I hope.  Originally I sealed the wooden frame to the sealed plastic hinge with silicon, I suspected it had come away from the wood, but I was wrong and it had stuck to the wood and not the plastic. This time I used Wickes’s Hybrid bond – seal – fix and it the bond from last night is anything to go by it should be good.

Today’s journeyimage

    11 miles, 1 lock in 4½ hours

No comments: