``

Friday 6 September 2019

Armitage Friday 6 September 2019

Day : Friday
Date : 6 September 2019
Start : 0800 hrs
Finish : 1645 hrs Armitage Plumb Pudding

I have uploaded our proposed route to Canal Planer AC https://canalplan.eu/journey/12200_cp if anyone wants to see where we are likely to be. It gets updated with actual position each night.

I looks like we now have a new mooring, don't know whereabouts but we are in the book. We had a nice meal and a pint of Dome Bar in the Samuel Barlow last night. This morning we were awake in go time and as the forecast was for rain later we set off at 8 am. It wasn't early enough because the very heavy rain hit us at Brookhay, we had planned to stop at Fradley.

This canal side garden has always supported loft of ornaments but I think there are even moor today than the last time we passed.DSCF2584

If anyone is looking for a canal side property with a mooring the lock cottage by Glascote bottom lock is up for sale for £250K. Someone has had the paper notice by the lock engraved onto brass and its now attached on the offside.DSCF2586

All the times we have crossed the aqueduct at Tamworth over the River Tame, I have never noticed this Pill Box at the far end.DSCF2588

I thought I best top up with diesel, I have always found Fazeley Mill Marina to be competitive, today they were 76p for domestic, last time I filled up I paid 85p, it was a short detour but worth it.

Back to Fazeley Junction and up the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal. We passed a moored boat with an unusual wind turbine, an axial one, I have no idea how efficient they are, but I would rather that than spinning blade tips above my head.DSCF2589

At Fradley Junction it was hard left, just as a boat had gone by in the same direction we were going. By now the sun was out and the sky was blue, time to take the raincoat off. There is a kind of raft moored on the private moorings by cafe, I am not sure what its purpose is, it looks as if its made to take an outboard engine and also a bit like a ferry. Some one will know.DSCF2595

The boat ahead of us was a single handing lady, but she was well on the ball with her boating skills, tucked into the bottom gate, up and crank the paddles, at which point Diana arrived after closing the swing bridge to lend a hand. As there was a boat coming down I had to wait for, Diana went up to Shadehouse lock to lend a hand but was back as I drew the top paddle to bring Harnser up the middle lock. As the weather was now so nice we decided to push on a bit, at Wood End lock I saw a proper compost toilet with flowers growing out of it.DSCF2597

We met several boats as we continued on our way, mooring for the night opposite the allotments just before The Plum Pudding at Armitage.

Today's Journeymap 43 22¾Miles 5 Locks in 8¾ hours

No comments: